Job Description: Operations Coordinator
- Full time
- Reports to the Executive Director
About Just City
Just City was founded in 2015 by a group of activists, attorneys, and civic leaders who saw the need for a powerful, independent voice to support the individuals, children, and families who are, or have been in contact with, the criminal justice system. We advocate for strong, consistent adult and children’s right to counsel policies and accelerate community-driven solutions to the problems presented by the criminal justice system – a system we believe should be smaller, fairer, and more humane.
The Operations Coordinator plays a critical role in Just City’s work as it pursues state and local criminal justice reform.
The Operations Coordinator (OC) will be supervised by and work closely with the Executive Director. The OC will also work closely with other staff members, consultants, board members, and interns. The OC will operate in Memphis as a full-time employee of Just City, with regular supervision from Just City leadership and its Board of Directors.
- Support the Executive Director with clerical duties, including filing of expenses, processing payments, and other operations support.
- Oversee payroll and disburse checks for organizational expenses.
- Manage office supply and equipment inventories.
- Prepare Just City’s budget for quarterly meetings of the Board of Directors and/or grant applications and provide financial reports as needed.
- Organize fiscal documents and fulfill tax-related requirements.
- Assist in managing comprehensive databases for donors, clients, and supporters.
- Procure office supplies and equipment and managing office space.
- Organize events and provide logistical support.
- Help manage logistics for public programs, including public meetings, stakeholder engagement events, and community activities.
- Participate in Just City’s strategic planning for projects and initiatives.
- Attend regular weekly meetings with Just City staff in Memphis.
- Attend quarterly Just City Board meetings as requested.
- Serve as representative and advocate for Just City, its mission and projects.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- 2 to 5 years of professional experience with significant experience managing payroll, invoicing, and bill payment.
- Familiarity with nonprofit reporting, tax, and regulatory requirements.
- Some experience in resource development, advocacy, and event management.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to help drive projects to completion and multi-task.
- Comfort working within a startup, non-profit environment.
- Excellent communication and time/budget management.·
- A passion for reforming criminal justice and public defense, coupled with an active interest in how those fields intersect with economics, education, and public health.
Just City is based in Memphis, TN. Traveling, evening and weekend work are occasionally required for this position. Just City is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest workforce possible, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
- $30,000 – $40,000
- Benefits available
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Cover letters will be used as a writing sample and should include a response to the following:
- “Why do you want to work for Just City?”
- “How can you contribute to Just City’s work and overall mission to reform the criminal justice system in Tennessee and Shelby County?”